Sunday Recap 5.4.14
Text: James 1:19-27
Main Idea: An Authentic Believer is one who receives AND responds to the Word of God.
Setlist: The Greatness of Our God, Forever Reign, How Great Thou Art, The Rock Won’t Move
From the Message:
- RECEIVE the Word.
- As we go through tests and trials tensions will escalate. We need an anchor in those times and that is anchor is the Word of God.
- However, we must RECEIVE the Word correctly. We must “hear” it.
- “Hear it” means that we seek to understand and obey.
- Anger will prevent us from receiving the Word correctly.
- If you let anger rule over you instead of the Word of God you will reap Wickedness instead of Righteousness.
- This process of maturity cannot happen unless we see sin for what it is, quit justifying it, and decide to reject it.
- Four barriers to “hearing”‘: (1) A lack of discipline. (2) Using an outdated translation (3) No accountability
- RESPOND to the Word.
- Just like pedaling a bicycle the believer must HEAR and DO in order to be authentic. If you only use one pedal you will not go as FAR or as FAST as God desires.
- Reading and studying have no profit if we do not put it into practice.
- “Obedience is the mother of true knowledge of God.” – John Calvin
- God’s Word can only grow in the soil of obedience.
- The effectiveness of our Bible Study will be seen in our attitudes and behavior.
- The best way to LEARN it is to DO it.
- Responding to God’s Word always has a PRACTICAL application.