Sunday Recap 3.9.14
Message Title: How to Recognize a False Prophet
Text: 1 John 2:18-27
Countdown Music: False Teachers by Shai Linne
Worship Set List: Greater; Worthy, Worthy; Nothing But the Blood; Oceans; Forever (Kari Jobe version)
From the Message…
- We have to recognize the TIMES.
- We have been in the “last hour” since Jesus ascended into heaven.
- We are to PREPARE for the Second Coming of Jesus. However, “prepare” does not mean filling our basements with food, water, and ammunition and wearing sandwich boards which make us look even more ridiculous than the Liberty Tax People standing outside of Walmart.
- “Prepare” means to PURIFY ourselves so that we won’t be ashamed at Christ’s coming.
- We have to recognize ANTICHRISTS.
- When John spoke of “antichrists” , he did not have a singular figure in mind who would be a world leader. He had in mind a PLURALITY of false teachers who would lead people astray.
- “Antichrist” means AGAINST CHRIST.
- The word “antichrist” is only used in scripture FIVE times. Four of those instances are in 1 John with one instance in 2 John. The word “antichrist” is NEVER used in the book of REVELATION (also written by John).
- We have to recognize FALSE TEACHING.
- “Gnosticism” was a false teaching in the church that taught that “The Christ” empowered Jesus during His ministry, but departed before the crucifixion.
- If you deny Jesus’s HUMANITY, then you deny His work on the CROSS.
- An antichrist is one who denies the Father and the Son.
- There are many forms of false teaching today such as THE PROSPERITY GOSPEL and those who claim to have SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE (or anointing).
- We have to recognize their LACK OF ENDURANCE.
- The Gnostic teachers never belonged to the body of Christ because they never confessed “Jesus is Lord” or believed that He had been raised from the dead. v.19
- Not everyone who leaves the church is a “false teacher”. Backsliding is a possibility.
- When someone leaves the church we must teach, correct, rebuke, pray for, and love them.
- At the same time we must BOLDLY CONFRONT false teaching.
- We have to recognize our TRUE ANOINTING.
- To be “anointed” means to have the Holy Spirit.
- Sermons, songs, and pastors do not have a special anointing. ALL believers are ANOINTED.
- The Holy Spirit gives us the power and discernment to recognize false teaching.