Sermon Recap 3.2.14
Sermon Title: Family Values
Text: 1 John 2:12-17
Worship Set List: Marvelous Light, Forever Reign, Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone), You are Holy (original song by Travis Shaw), Glorious Day
From the Message:
- Just as members of a family go through stages in their physical and developmental growth, so do members of a spiritual family grow through spiritual stages of spiritual maturity.
- In order to grow and mature a family must share some common values.
- We are all part of the same FAMILY, with the same FATHER, and we share a common ENEMY.
- We are called to love the WORD, not the WORLD.
- John calls us to share FIVE VALUES:
- We must value GRACE.
- Every member needs to grow in an atmosphere of love, encouragement, and grace.
- No matter what stage we are in we are FORGIVEN and IN CHRIST.
- We need to remember that we are all fighting on the same team in the same battle. We need to point our weapons at our ENEMY, not EACH OTHER.
- We must value MATURITY.
- We must value the mature as well as the process of maturity.
- The mature don’t just know ABOUT God, they KNOW God.
- What are you doing to grow and who are you learning from?
- We must value PASSION.
- The younger generation of believers offer INSIGHT, PASSION, and CLARITY.
- The younger generation helps us to wrestle with TRUTH in the context of our TIMES.
- We must value BOUNDARIES.
- Boundaries must keep out the extremes of LEGALISM and LICENSE.
- Just because something is NATURAL does not mean it is GOOD.
- We must value the ETERNAL.
- As we minister we will always aim for PROCESS over PROGRAMS.
- Leadership in the church is for the spiritually mature. It doesn’t matter if you are a CEO or the CLEANING LADY.